Friday, March 19, 2010

The next step, maybe?

I’ve signed up for James Twyman’s seminar on what he calls  “dream dancing,” which uses the process of lucid dreaming as a way to connect with loved ones who have passed on. I don't usually sign up for those kinds of seminars and workshops and courses, because so much of the material that's covered is stuff that I've already learned, over the years.

My problem is that I don't often show the self-discipline to practice the techniques I already know. You can't buy enlightenment, kiddo; you have to work for it. Oh. Work. Yeah, that.

A very interesting thing happened right after I signed up. That very night, my mother (who died over ten years ago) was with me in my dreams, vividly present. I miss my mom very much, but don't have much contact with her--not nearly as much as I've had with other imaginal figures and deceased relatives. She seems as quiet and reserved in the afterlife as she was in this one.

I wonder what the larger implications of that are? I wonder if it’s easier for some of those Others to communicate in different ways—maybe some can make themselves heard the way I usually do it, while others might like a different method like lucid dreams.

Part of the reason I decided to sign up was to investigate what the technique Twyman proposes is like, and to see if I can figure out what the pitfalls are. Initially, with little experience of lucid dreaming and none whatsoever of James Twyman’s methodology, I am concerned about the usual New Age problems: an uncritical belief, and an emotional attachment to the outcome. But the same is true of active imagination, and of sensing the energies of the living, as I have sometimes painfully discovered over the years.

So it will be useful for me to experiment with this other method. I’m looking forward to it, and I’ll report, on the blog, on the results I achieve, or don’t.

No comments: